UPDATE:
Questions to ponder and or work on...
Chapter 3:
The seer referred to in 2 Nephi 3:6–21 is the Prophet Joseph Smith. List what you learn about his mission from this prophecy. (There are at least 10 things mentioned.) Try to put each in your own words.
Select one part of the Prophet Joseph Smith’s mission and explain how it has had an important effect on your life.
There are two books mentioned in 2 Nephi 3:12—one written by Joseph’s descendants (the Book of Mormon) and one written by Judah’s (the Bible).
List what the prophecy said these two books together would accomplish.
Describe how having both of these books has accomplished the purposes you listed.
Elder Boyd K. Packer, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, said that the Bible and the Book of Mormon “are now woven together in such a way that as you pore over one you are drawn to the other; as you learn from one you are enlightened by the other. They are indeed one in our hands. Ezekiel’s prophecy [in Ezekiel 37:15–19] now stands fulfilled” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1982, 75; or Ensign, Nov. 1982, 53).
Chapter 4:
In 2 Nephi 4:15–35, we read some of “the things of [Nephi’s] soul” (v. 15). This is a good block of scripture to read aloud. After you have read it, choose five phrases or sentences from what Nephi said that are also a part of “the things of [your] soul.” Explain why you feel each is important to you.
Chapter 5:
The Nephites “lived after the manner of happiness” (2 Nephi 5:27). Review 2 Nephi 5, use the index or Topical Guide to find other scriptures on “happiness,” and list three ways to live “after the manner of happiness.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are interesting chapters. It's neat to see the prophecies about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. The BYU experts were interesting about these chapters. I thought their discussion about Joseph Smith and just how remarkable his calling really is. He holds the keys for this dispensation and he is still entrusted with that great glory and calling - to hold the keys of the dispensation of the fulness of times and this dispensation will never cease to be! So that says something about Joseph!
The experts are talking about the prophecies about Joseph Smith in chapter 3... they use this verse
7. Yea, Joseph truly said: Thus saith the Lord unto me: A choice seer will I raise up out of the fruit of thy loins; and he shall be esteemed highly among the fruit of thy loins. And unto him will I give commandment that he shall do a work for the fruit of thy loins, his brethren, which shall be of great worth unto them, even to the bringing of them to the knowledge of the covenants which I have made with thy fathers.
Then they discussed about how loved he was and how Brigham Young said when he thinks about Joseph Smith he wants to shout hallelujah all day long. They shared an experience where he served and was sought out by some Indian chiefs (Joseph, Nephi's brother's posterity) came to see him and told him that the Great Spirit appeared to them and told them to go and visit Joseph and ask him what they should do. (pretty cool) Joseph listened to them, they were being driven from their land and suffering and they needed guidance. He told them they shouldn't fight, they would suffer for a while but would come out okay - they asked him how many moons it would be and he said he didn't know how long and he gave them blankets and food and sent them back to their homes. (so this is bad but I'm wondering if they are now the owners of the Pachanga Casinos- I know I told you my bad!)
Next prophecy mentioned is in verse 8...
And I will give unto him a commandment that he shall do none other work, save the work which I shall command him. And I will make him great in mine eyes; for he shall do my work.
Joseph definitely fulfilled this prophecy -his life's work was building up of the church and doing the Lord's work and give his life for that work. They mention section 24 in the Doctrine and Covenants - it says in temporal things you will not succeed for that is not your calling.
The 9th verse is the next one...
And he shall be great like unto Moses, whom I have said I would raise up unto you, to deliver my people, O house of Israel.
Moses great work was to offer the House of Israel the gospel of Jesus Christ and to lead them out of spiritual bondage and captivity and to deliver them physically out of slavery in Egypt. Joseph's calling in life was to deliver to people the gospel of Jesus Christ and to spiritually deliver people out of spiritual bondage.
This brings us up to the 12th verse. This verse really jumped out at me. I love how it says the Book of Mormon and the Bible shall grow together and
"unto the confounding of false doctrines and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace among the fruit of thy loins, and bringing them to the knowledge of their fathers in the latter days, and also to the knowledge of my covenants, saith the Lord. "
Chapter 4 is just a beautiful passage where we hear Nephi's beautiful testimony. His dad has died, he's the prophet - weighed down with responsibilities, he's around his brothers who aren't very nice. But he shares his humble feelings. He admits he has sins - and boy do the experts say something good about that...the one comentator says "wherever you are in your progression in the gospel of Jesus Christ your sins are the biggest - the ones you are working on are the most terrible ones you have and they bother you and you want to move them out of your life and it's true whether you're just starting on your gospel path or down the road. I love that!
This quote from Pres. Hinckley means a lot to me today because I feel I can give a strong Amen to what he says here. I think this quote goes along with some of what Nephi says in chapter 4.
“Without reservation I promise you that if you will prayerfully read the Book of Mormon, regardless of how many times you previously have read it, there will come into your hearts an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord. There will come a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to his commandments, and there will come a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God” ( “The Power of the Book of Mormon,” Ensign, June 1988, 6 ).
Questions to ponder and or work on...
Chapter 3:
The seer referred to in 2 Nephi 3:6–21 is the Prophet Joseph Smith. List what you learn about his mission from this prophecy. (There are at least 10 things mentioned.) Try to put each in your own words.
Select one part of the Prophet Joseph Smith’s mission and explain how it has had an important effect on your life.
There are two books mentioned in 2 Nephi 3:12—one written by Joseph’s descendants (the Book of Mormon) and one written by Judah’s (the Bible).
List what the prophecy said these two books together would accomplish.
Describe how having both of these books has accomplished the purposes you listed.
Elder Boyd K. Packer, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, said that the Bible and the Book of Mormon “are now woven together in such a way that as you pore over one you are drawn to the other; as you learn from one you are enlightened by the other. They are indeed one in our hands. Ezekiel’s prophecy [in Ezekiel 37:15–19] now stands fulfilled” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1982, 75; or Ensign, Nov. 1982, 53).
Chapter 4:
In 2 Nephi 4:15–35, we read some of “the things of [Nephi’s] soul” (v. 15). This is a good block of scripture to read aloud. After you have read it, choose five phrases or sentences from what Nephi said that are also a part of “the things of [your] soul.” Explain why you feel each is important to you.
Chapter 5:
The Nephites “lived after the manner of happiness” (2 Nephi 5:27). Review 2 Nephi 5, use the index or Topical Guide to find other scriptures on “happiness,” and list three ways to live “after the manner of happiness.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are interesting chapters. It's neat to see the prophecies about the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. The BYU experts were interesting about these chapters. I thought their discussion about Joseph Smith and just how remarkable his calling really is. He holds the keys for this dispensation and he is still entrusted with that great glory and calling - to hold the keys of the dispensation of the fulness of times and this dispensation will never cease to be! So that says something about Joseph!
The experts are talking about the prophecies about Joseph Smith in chapter 3... they use this verse
7. Yea, Joseph truly said: Thus saith the Lord unto me: A choice seer will I raise up out of the fruit of thy loins; and he shall be esteemed highly among the fruit of thy loins. And unto him will I give commandment that he shall do a work for the fruit of thy loins, his brethren, which shall be of great worth unto them, even to the bringing of them to the knowledge of the covenants which I have made with thy fathers.
Then they discussed about how loved he was and how Brigham Young said when he thinks about Joseph Smith he wants to shout hallelujah all day long. They shared an experience where he served and was sought out by some Indian chiefs (Joseph, Nephi's brother's posterity) came to see him and told him that the Great Spirit appeared to them and told them to go and visit Joseph and ask him what they should do. (pretty cool) Joseph listened to them, they were being driven from their land and suffering and they needed guidance. He told them they shouldn't fight, they would suffer for a while but would come out okay - they asked him how many moons it would be and he said he didn't know how long and he gave them blankets and food and sent them back to their homes. (so this is bad but I'm wondering if they are now the owners of the Pachanga Casinos- I know I told you my bad!)
Next prophecy mentioned is in verse 8...
And I will give unto him a commandment that he shall do none other work, save the work which I shall command him. And I will make him great in mine eyes; for he shall do my work.
Joseph definitely fulfilled this prophecy -his life's work was building up of the church and doing the Lord's work and give his life for that work. They mention section 24 in the Doctrine and Covenants - it says in temporal things you will not succeed for that is not your calling.
The 9th verse is the next one...
And he shall be great like unto Moses, whom I have said I would raise up unto you, to deliver my people, O house of Israel.
Moses great work was to offer the House of Israel the gospel of Jesus Christ and to lead them out of spiritual bondage and captivity and to deliver them physically out of slavery in Egypt. Joseph's calling in life was to deliver to people the gospel of Jesus Christ and to spiritually deliver people out of spiritual bondage.
This brings us up to the 12th verse. This verse really jumped out at me. I love how it says the Book of Mormon and the Bible shall grow together and
"unto the confounding of false doctrines and laying down of contentions, and establishing peace among the fruit of thy loins, and bringing them to the knowledge of their fathers in the latter days, and also to the knowledge of my covenants, saith the Lord. "
Chapter 4 is just a beautiful passage where we hear Nephi's beautiful testimony. His dad has died, he's the prophet - weighed down with responsibilities, he's around his brothers who aren't very nice. But he shares his humble feelings. He admits he has sins - and boy do the experts say something good about that...the one comentator says "wherever you are in your progression in the gospel of Jesus Christ your sins are the biggest - the ones you are working on are the most terrible ones you have and they bother you and you want to move them out of your life and it's true whether you're just starting on your gospel path or down the road. I love that!
This quote from Pres. Hinckley means a lot to me today because I feel I can give a strong Amen to what he says here. I think this quote goes along with some of what Nephi says in chapter 4.
“Without reservation I promise you that if you will prayerfully read the Book of Mormon, regardless of how many times you previously have read it, there will come into your hearts an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord. There will come a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to his commandments, and there will come a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God” ( “The Power of the Book of Mormon,” Ensign, June 1988, 6 ).
No comments:
Post a Comment