Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day 6 --1st Nephi 16-18 (6/13/09)

This was a long 3 verses but certainly filled with interesting events.

I'm listening to the BYU discussion and they were talking about 1st Nephi 16:2. One of the men shared that one time in his sunday school class a lady said boiling water can make eggs hard or carrots soft. They didn't mention it but I thought that another interesting point to this lady's idea is that eggs have a hard shell and maybe when we have a hard shell, when we shut ourselves out from the things of the spirit then that is why we end up wicked and hard hearted --we can't feel the spirit or are past feeling. So let's all be carrots!

They receive the ball of curious workmanship (we don't actually get the name Liahona until Alma. I like this statement found in one of my Books of Mormon...

The Liahona is not only a real object but also a powerful teaching symbol. For example, Alma's words suggest that the Liahona was a symbol of the "word of Christ, which will point to you a straight course to eternal bliss" (Alma 37:44). President Spencer W. Kimball compared it to our individual consciences, or the Light of Christ (see The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, 113). President Thomas S. Monson compared a patriarchal blessing to having one's own Liahona --"to guide you unerringly to your heavenly home" (in Conference Report, October 1986, 83).

When the scriptures say that the round ball was made of "curious workmanship" it is a way of saying that it was "made or done skillfully or painstakingly. Alma later emphasized that the Lord prepared the Liahona, saying that "there cannot any man work after the manner of so curious a workmanship" (Alma 37:38-39). The Liahona--unlike a regular compass, which always points north--pointed in the direction Lehi's family should travel. Also, unlike a regular compass, the Liahona only worked according to their faith and diligence (see 1 Nephi 16:28).

They spend 8 years in the wilderness and in chapter 17:3 Nephi is kind of summarizing what they've learned - he says "thus we see.." and he says we see that what I said in 1 Nephi 3:7 is true. That the commandments of God MUST be fulfilled. It's a great promise or blessing Nephi says in verse 3 "And if it so be that the hcildren of men keep the commandments of God he doth NOURISH them, and STRENGTHEN them, and PROVIDE means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them" - I'm sure after 8 years in the wilderness Nephi had first hand experience with the Lord nourishing him and strengthening and providing for him and his family. I know personally I think how can Laman and Lemuel be so blind and yet I'm sure there are areas in my life where I could have more faith and strength like Nephi - I'm sure that sometimes I'm like Laman and Lemuel - hate to admit it but I am pretty good at murmuring and you'd think I'd realize it's far better to be like Nephi.

The commentators quote Elder Neal A. Maxwell "we can either choose to live like Christ or suffer like Him." The Savior wants us to come to him and use his atonement. We're reminded of this in 1 Nephi 17:40 - "he loveth those who will have him to be their God" Nephi is trying to tell us if he loved and helped Moses and he loves and helps me then he loves and will help us!


We've almost finished the first week, be strong, keep holding to the rod (the word of God) we can do this! To quote President Hinckley

"We are engaged in a great eternal struggle that concerns the very souls of the sons and daughters of God. We are not losing. We are winning. We will continue to win if we will be faithful and true. We can do it. We must do it. We will do it.” Conference Report, Oct. 1986, 57; or Ensign, Nov. 1986, 44 ).
Okay so maybe reading the Book of Mormon isn't a great eternal struggle - but then again for some of us maybe it is... I just love his last 3 sentences and think if we could just imagine him saying that to us whenever we feel like we can't do something maybe we will be more successful!

p.s. I'm in good company with having murmur issues. Elder Maxwell gave a great talk about this and here's the link...
http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway.dll/Magazines/Ensign/1989.htm/ensign%20november%201989.htm/murmur%20not%20.htm
here's one quick quote from this talk

"Lehi rebuked murmuring Laman and Lemuel for complaining over Nephi’s saying “hard things” to them .(1 Ne. 16:3.) Lehi noted: “That which ye call anger was the truth.” (2 Ne. 1:26.) How often you and I, brothers and sisters, can make that same mistake! Cutting truth does hurt, but its lancing can drain off pride."

No comments:

Post a Comment